Friday, December 3, 2010

Wk2 Reading: Art of Possibility, ch 4-6


My husband gives me a hard time for volunteering for multiple activities. I don’t think he understand the reward I get from being involved. I think that it is important to be involved and to make a difference and the experience gained is priceless. Each of us has been given a special gift and if we don’t share that gift, we are not living to our full potential. I thrive on being involved and want to be an example for my family and others; showing them the reward of volunteering and getting involved in extracurricular activities.

As leaders and students, I think it is important to own up to your mistakes and to learn from them. Students look up to their leaders. If the leader never admits to making a mistake and blames the student, the student will have discourse and lose the respect for that leader. The student may also refrain from engaging in a course that the teacher instructs. For example, if the conductor continuously blames a musician for not playing when he wasn’t suppose, the student may quite; hence, a talented musician is no longer.

Taking things seriously all the time can lead to frown lines. Life is too short. If you take everything seriously you lose the true joy of life. Episodes are supposed to occur in our lives. It is what makes us stronger and smarter. People who take things too seriously are usually the ones nobody wants to be around. Laughing brings joy and happiness; something that attracts people. Laughing is good for your health. Those who can’t enjoy themselves need to take a look at their life and rid themselves of what distresses them.

3 comments:

  1. Renee, I think it’s great that you get so much out of volunteering. I couldn’t agree with you more on the fact that you gain this internal reward that is priceless. Everyone is unique and has their own little something that they need to share with the world in one-way or another. No body is perfect and we all make mistakes. The key is learning from them so you can do better in the future. I’m a strong believer that laughter is one of the best medicines in life. Like you said, it is often one of the key ingredients to happiness. The idea of getting rid of our stresses is something I think everybody wishes they can do. At the same time though, I know that it is easier said than done. Really great post Renee, full of insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you enjoy volunteering. It is such a great feeling knowing that you are able to help and make a difference. Also, I agree with you that taking life too seriously only results in unhappiness. I had read somewhere that it is how you act when things are not going according to plan that shows your true character. Being able to laugh at yourself or bring laughter into a stressful situation really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great observation how you are energized by volunteering and being a part of something. It's the activity not the goal that make it worth your effort. Very true that not all can see the difference and importance of the difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete